Cellcom First Division Week 2 Round-up: BYC FC & LISCR FC Maintain Perfect Start, Nimba United Falters

There were wins for BYC FC, LISCR FC, ELWA United and FC Fassell following this weekend’s Cellcom First Division matches.

Holder FC 0-0 Watanga

Week 2 of the Cellcom First Division began on Saturday with a drab goal-less draw between Holder FC and Watanga FC at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium. Both teams are tied on two points at 5th and 6th, respectively on the First Division table.

LISCR FC 6-0 Mighty Dragons

After that goal-less draw between Holder FC and Watanga FC, fans at the ATS were entertained in the second match when LISCR FC thumped Mighty Dragons 6-0 to climb to the third spot on the First Division table. Fallah Sheriff started the onslaught in the 13th minute. Stephen Seameh, Dominic Jlateh, and Toe Clarke each scored in the 27th, 30th, and 32nd minute, respectively to give LISCR FC a 4-0 half-time lead. After the break, Fallah Sheriff completed his brace in the 51st minute to make the score line 5-0 before Jallah Freeman and Lassana Sonnie were both issued red cards in the 78th and 80th minute, respectively for second bookable offence for Mighty Dragons. Abraham Barshall scored in the 81st minute for the sixth goal before being sent off a minute later. Also, Dargar Kollie of LISCR was also given his marching orders in the 88th minute.

BYC FC 2-1 Nimba United 

BYC remains on top of the First Division table after defeating defending champions Nimba United 2-1 at the Blue Field on Saturday evening. Junior Barshall gave BYC a 1-0 first half lead in the 13th minute. Sylvanus Morris increased BYC’s lead in the 68th minute before Nimba United’s Barbu Kollie was sent off in the 69th minute. Playing a man down, the Mountaineers were still able to pull one back from Foday Suma in the 72nd minute but the Go Blue Boys held on to their 2-1 win as Nimba United still search for their first win of the season.

Keitrace 0-4 ELWA United

In the first match on Sunday at the ATS, a Bobby Cummings‘s brace and goals from Trokon Saykiameh and Ernest Toe proved too much for Keitrace FC. Cummings opened the scoring in the 4th minute before Saykiameh increased ELWA United’s lead in the 21st minute before the break. Cummings completed his brace in the 85th minute before Keitrace FC’s Trokon Dewean was sent off in the 86th minute for a second bookable offence. Two minutes later, Toe added his name on the score sheet to give ELWA United a 4-0 win which propelled them to fourth on the First Division table.

LPRC Oilers 0-1 FC Fassell

In the last match of Week 2 played on Sunday, FC Fassell maintained their 100 percent record with a 1-0 win at LPRC Oilers. John Tamba‘s 12th minute goal was enough to send the Soccer Missionaries second, tied on six points with BYC FC, on the First Division table.

The First Division will continue next weekend with Week 3 matches around the country:

Holder FC (5th, 0-2-0) vs. Keitrace FC (10th, 0-0-2) | 2PM | ATS

LPRC Oilers (8th, 0-1-1) vs. LISCR FC (3rd, 1-1-0) | 4PM | ATS

Nimba United (7th, 0-1-1) vs. ELWA United (4th, 1-1-0) | 4PM | North Star Stadium

Mighty Dragons FC (9th, 0-0-2) vs. Watanga FC (6th, 0-2-0) | 4PM | Gbarnga Sports Stadium

FC Fassell (2nd, 2-0-0) vs. BYC FC (1st, 2-0-0) | 4PM | ATS

Photo Courtesy: Augustine Doe